Boiled too much rice or unsure of what to cook with your leftover ingredients? Why not make a quick and easy egg fried rice? The classic Chinese Egg Fried rice [蛋炒飯] is the quintessential dish loved by everyone as it's so simple, quick to make and delicious. Here we have a recipe on how to make the perfect Egg Fried Rice with your leftover ingredients.
What you'll need:
- Leftover rice from the fridge - this is a must! Freshly cooked rice holds too much moisture which will make your rice stick together.
- Free range eggs - adjust to how much rice you have.
- Leftover meat or vegetables - the choice is yours!
- Yellow onion
- Spring onion
- Cooking oil
- Sesame oil
- Light soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- White pepper powder to taste
- Put your rice into a large bowl and break up the clumps until all the rice grains are separated.
- Dice onion, meat, vegetables of your choice into small pieces.
- Thinly chop spring onion and coriander.
- Break and beat your eggs into a separate bowl.
- Heat your wok or pan to a medium to high heat, then add oil to a hot pan. Swirl the oil around until you see smoke.
- Add your beaten eggs and scramble until slightly half way cooked so it's still slightly runny. Set aside.
- Reheat the wok/pan and add more oil. Make sure the wok is as high as it can go.
- Put your rice in and fry until it is heated through for about 2 minutes. Break up any more clumps with your ladle/spatula.
- Add in the onions, meat or vegetables and fry till warmed throughout, constantly turning the rice so it doesn't burn. Add salt and white pepper powder to taste.
- Add the scramble egg back in until egg is distributed throughout the rice.
- Pour in light soy sauce and sesame oil to mix in with the rice, constantly turning to add aroma.
- Add in the spring onions and coriander. Continue to stir fry until well combined.
- Dish up and garnish with some freshly chopped spring onion or coriander and enjoy!
Don't forget to tag us on Instagram @tuktukmartuk to show us your Egg Fried Rice following our recipe!