What is Chicken Lo Mein?
Chinese Chicken Lo Mein is an authentic and traditional dish made with egg noodles and a variety of meat, vegetables and/or tofu. This dish is a takeaway favourite, and best of all now we will teach you to make it at home. With a few tasty ingredients you can make a delicious Chicken Lo Mein.
Tuk Tuk Mart's online Chinese supermarket stocks all of the sauces and ingredients you will need to cook traditional recipes like this one at home - shop our range now.
Lo Mein vs Chow Mein
These classic dishes are very similar but have a few key differences, in particular their cooking methods. Chow Mein noodles are fried and crispy, whereas Lo Mein noodles are wetter with more sauce used.
Chicken Lo Mein Ingredients (Serves 4) - Click on ingredients below to browse them.
- Chicken Breast/Tofu (455g)
- Pepper (1 Teaspoon)
- Salt (1 Teaspoon)
- Sesame Oil (2 teaspoons)
- Chicken Broth (60ml)
- Soy Sauce (1 Tablespoon)
- Hoisin Sauce (1 Tablespoon)
- Corn Starch (1 Teaspoon)
- Vegetable Oil (1 Tablespoon)
- Garlic Gloves (2 minced cloves)
- Fresh Ginger (1 tablespoon minced)
- Shiitake Mushroom (0.5 cup sliced)
- Onion (0.5 cup sliced)
- Carrot (61g sliced)
- Sugar Snap Peas (49g halved)
- Cooked Egg Noodles (4 servings)
- Scallions (1 tablespoon chopped, for garnish)
- In a medium-sized bowl, season chicken with 1 tablespoon sesame oil, salt & pepper. Mix the ingredients thoroughly until well seasoned and set chicken aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix thoroughly chicken broth, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok/large pan on a medium-high heat. Add chicken and ensure it is well cooked for 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan when no longer pink inside and set aside.
- Add ginger and garlic to wok/pan and cook until fragrant.
- Add sugar snap peas, mushrooms, onions, carrots and stir fry until vegetables are soft and tender.
- Add cooked chicken to wok/pan, add cooked egg noodles and reserved sauce. Cook mix for, 3 minutes, until all are well-coated in the sauce.
- Add shallots to garnish the recipe.
- Serve and enjoy!